Entry level position reporting to leadership in Real Time Operations. Under direct supervision of a qualified System Controller, learns to monitor and control transmission and substation facilities to provide a safe, economic, and secure operation of the Houston Electric electrical power system in normal and emergency conditions. Works in coordination with ERCOT System Operators to ensure that the Transmission System is operated to meet wholesale electrical market needs while preserving reliability using Good Utility Practice.
- Direct and coordinate field switching and clearance activity (by radio, telephone, or supervisory control) to ensure safety of personnel and equipment
- Analyze Energy Management System (EMS) data to verify accuracy and to stay abreast of power system changes
- Monitor and control voltage as prescribed by the System Voltage Profile.Make appropriate voltage changes using static and dynamic voltage sources
- Coordinate with ERCOT System Operators to ensure voltage stability and reliability
- Implement the commissioning and interconnection of new electrical facilities safely and reliably
- Work with ERCOT System Operators to minimize transmission congestion when initiating planned outage switching.Be aware of transmission corridor loading at all times.
- Review and initiate sequences of steps for handling multiple system problems to minimize risk
- Control transmission/substation electrical equipment such as regulators, capacitor banks, transformers, and breakers to maintain system stability
- Provide appropriate documentation of system events as well as proper notification of such events
- Communicate efficiently and professionally with inside and outside entities.Provide excellent customer support to all entities.
- Be available for duty when system events require additional resources at the Control Center
- Initiate appropriate emergency responses and notifications as required by system conditions and events
- Observe safety rules and procedures at all times. Ensure that these rules/procedures are followed in field activities as well..
Additional Knowledge, Skills, Licenses/Certifications, Abilities & Personal Characteristics (KSLAPs):
- Ability to remain calm in emergencies and give clear, specific instructions to others amidst a variety of visual and auditory stimuli
- Ability to communicate system activities to others using a variety of communication vehicles (written instruction, computer generated graphic displays and reports, radio, and telephone)
- Ability to use learned knowledge of system operations and own judgment to make decisions with regard to system activities
- Ability to effectively demonstrate good listening and verbal skills when interfacing with other entities and customers
- Ability to act on multiple shifting priorities on a daily basis
- Ability to utilize mainframe computers to respond to system conditions
- Ability to apply knowledge of basic electricity and three phase power principles
- Ability to use high school algebra and trigonometry to calculate basic power system equations
- Ability to write and document system activities and events
- Ability to prepare for and pass the North American Electric Reliability Council (NERC) and Electrical Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT) operator tests
- Ability to comply with the CenterPoint Energy Safety Manual and all applicable safety rules/procedures.
- Exemplify the Company’s core values: integrity, accountability, initiative and respect.
- .Able to demonstrate commitment to compliance with applicable laws and regulations, the Company’s Ethics and Compliance Code of Conduct, and other Company policies and procedures and do so consistently, take all required training courses and do so timely
- Able to demonstrate respect for all individuals, adhere to the Company’s values and business practices and do both consistently
- May be required to stand or sit in one position for extended periods of time
- Must be able to view multiple computer monitors for long periods of time
- Speak, read and write in English sufficiently to, interpret and communicate informationAbility to hear oral communication either in person or on equipment such as telephone, mobile phone or radio
- Work in a fast paced environment with high daily pressure to meet deadlines.
- Provide on-call support 24 hours on occasion.
- Perform work indoors in an office environment and outdoors as needed.
- Ability to work in an operational control room environment with periods of stress using advanced computer systems
- Ability to work various schedules and shifts with intervals of extended work hours during emergencies
- Ability to respond to call outs and out of office assignments
- Advancement to System Controller position requires 12-hour rotating shift work schedule.
- May be required to remain in the service area during emergency events and assume responsibilities assigned by the company to in restoration efforts
CenterPoint Energy is an Equal Opportunity Employer looking to employ and advance in employment qualified minorities, females, people with disabilities, and veterans.
CenterPoint Energy strives to provide a robust, comprehensive benefits package that is designed to keep our employees healthy and happy. Our benefits include medical, dental vision, life, disability and accident insurance, retirement and savings, paid time off and career development. Each of these is described in more detail below.
1111 Louisiana Street
United States 77002