- Review specification and engineering drawings to understand the purpose and functionality of substation.
- Schedule the installation and commissioning with subcontractors and customer.
- Provide safety analysis and proper equipment isolation procedure.
- Provide a day-to-day outage plan for customer.
- Develop detail test procedure and sign-off sheet for each piece of equipment.
- Monitor the construction and be available to address technical questions as they arise during construction, installation and testing.
- Identify and resolve design errors.
- Assist field crews and dispatch in developing switching to properly sequence in equipment, making sure proper hold points for testing are incorporated.
- Directly witness or perform critical tests such as DC Functional Trip Testing prior to energization and in-service
- Direct crews as necessary during critical work junctures. This typically occurs during final commission, just prior and through initial energization.
- Acknowledge substation modification is complete and functional and formally turns it over to Dispatch to be operated within its design limits.
- A Commissioning Technician is expected to support several capital projects occurring at the same time. Accordingly they rotate amongst the jobs, keeping abreast of the construction activities, reviewing test results and monitoring the work so as to anticipate any problems and gauge their level of involvement from a technical support perspective.
- Near project completion, as the equipment is ready to have its control schemes functionally tested and the equipment energized is when a commissioning engineer will be required to work extended hours/days in a row at a particular job site.
- This position does not directly supervisor a crew, however they will direct field technicians from time to time on performing technical tasks as needed.
- Possess and Maintain a valid and unrestricted driver's license
*Please be aware that by submitting an application to this job the candidate consents to Eaton sharing the candidate's resume with Eaton field service partners/customers as needed as part of the selection process
- Technical/Associates degree from an accredited institution and/or military experience required.
- Minimum 3 years of substation and/or relay experience
- Legally authorized to work in the United States without company sponsorship
- 7+ years of experience evaluating and servicing electrical distribution or control systems is desirable. Experience in testing, troubleshooting, evaluating, and servicing electrical distribution and control systems is highly desirable.
- Protection and Control experience with transmission and distribution equipment
- 3+ years of experience in protective relay testing.
- Electrical Contractor's License
- General Contractor's License
- Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering
- Must be able to meet and maintain customer entrance and qualification requirements
Requisition ID: 035758
1000 Eaton Boulevard
Ohio United States
Eaton's Engineering Services & Systems Division is seeking a Commissioning Technician. The Commissioning Technician will have the option to be remote or be relocated by Eaton to either our Warrendale, PA, Columbus, OH, Parma, OH, or Boothwyn, PA facility.
Eaton's Engineering Service & Systems Division wants to help you fuel your career! Eaton has the largest and most experienced team of field services technicians and engineers in the industry. This team brings extensive skills and experiences to field service engineering. Active participation in recognized technical societies such as NFPA and IEEE and collaboration with a variety of utilities and industries ensures that our technicians are knowledgeable about today's cutting edge technology and engineering techniques. We assist customers at every stage of the power system: offering start-up and commissioning of equipment, performing planned maintenance, monitoring performance, diagnosing system problems remotely, as well as responding to emergencies on a 24/7 basis, 365 days a year. Our support services help businesses make the most of their existing electrical equipment by optimizing performance and extending the life of existing facilities.
Eaton is a power management company with 2016 sales of $19.7 billion. We provide energy-efficient solutions that help our customers effectively manage electrical, hydraulic and mechanical power more efficiently, safely and sustainably. Eaton is dedicated to improving the quality of life and the environment through the use of power management technologies and services. Eaton has approximately 95,000 employees and sells products to customers in more than 175 countries. For more information, visit Eaton.com. At Eaton we see things differently. We see opportunities to innovate, go above and beyond, and we work hard because what we do reflects who we are. If you see things differently - if you're determined, motivated and focused on improving the world around you - then it's time to see where a career at Eaton can take you. For more information visit www. Eaton.com/careers.